JFEW SUNY Global Affairs Leadership Program
All of the campuses who participate in the JFEW SUNY Global Affairs Leadership Program (Geneseo, Binghamton, and Stony Brook) will not be recruiting an incoming class of scholars for 2023-24. We will be taking a one-year hiatus in recruitment to re-envision the program in light of recent changes so we can continue to meet the needs of our students in the best way possible. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
- Archived JFEW Program Information from 2021-2023 (Not Currently Relevant)
The Jewish Foundation for the Education of Women (JFEW), has established the JFEW SUNY Global Affairs Leadership program which includes a two-year academic program for students from Binghamton, Geneseo, and Stony Brook with a strong preference for females. The integrated program includes two years of scholarship support (up to $5,000 each year), a monthly seminar series for two academic years, and paid internships in New York-based global organizations offered during the summer between the Junior and Senior years. The goal of the program is to prepare students for careers in any field using a global affairs perspective and to create strong mentor and peer networks that will continue to support students' goals through their careers.
The Two - Year Academic Program (2021 - 2023) includes:
- Scholarship assistance of up to $5,500 during the student's Junior and Senior years for a total of up to $11,000
- Participation in three monthly seminars each semester designed to provide a comprehensive overview of major issues, organizations, and people in International Relations and Global Affairs. Students will have required readings and written assignments
- Facilitated networking, professional development, and mentoring opportunities
- A paid 8 - week summer internship during the summer between the students' Junior and Senior years that includes: Placement in an internationally - focused organization ranging from well - known international think tanks, UN organizations, to NGOs.
- A stipend of $3,500 paid in two installments during the summer internship
- Academic credit may be available
- A three - day orientation in New York City will be held the week before the internship begins. The orientation will include: and overview of key international relations and global areas issues; site visits to prestigious international organizations; sessions by international relations experts; and preparation for the internship
- A weekly Distinguished Speakers Series highlighting key leaders in organizations working internationally. The series will be held from 5 to 7 pm on Wednesdays. Attendance is required.
- Opportunity to attend special activities at various NYC organizations such as events at the Foreign Policy Association, Council of the Americas, and Asia Society
- One day wrap - up and debrief session during the last week of the internship to reflect on the experience
- Each scholar will participate in a focused mentoring group, which will meet two to three times during the internship
- Students planning to participate in a study abroad program their Junior year are encouraged to apply for the program. There are provisions for their participation in the monthly seminars during their study abroad. However, students must be available for the summer 2021 months (June through August) for the duration of the internship in New York City
Selection Criteria and Requirements
Candidates should demonstrate an interest in a career that encompasses a Global Affairs perspective and who fulfill the requirements identified below. All majors will be considered.
- Candidates must have a minimum GPA of 3.0 (this may be flexible)
- Candidates must be a U.S. citizen or eligible for citizenship
- Candidates must be a resident of New York State
- Candidates must be entering their Junior year
- Candidates must have a current Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) on file with their University's Office of Financial Aid. This FAFSA must establish that the student has demonstrated financial need
- Candidates must submit two letters of reference
- Candidates must submit a personal statement, no more than 2 pages in length, identifying their interest in Global Affairs, and why the program will benefit their career goals (if your GPA is less than the requires 3.0 this must be addressed in the statement)
- Candidates must submit a resume, no more than 2 pages in length, highlighting their education, employment, and volunteer experiences, as well as any relevant extracurricular activities and personal achievements. If they wish, candidates can visit their University's Career Development Center for assistance in preparing their resume
- Candidates must complete the Application Form and the Authorization to Check Financial Records and submit both by the application deadline
- Candidates must complete their 2021 - 2022 FAFSA application prior to submitting their application to the JFEW SUNY International Relations and Global Affairs Program. If you need assistance please review the information on the following web page
- Candidates will authorize their university's Career Development Center to list their name and their photo in promotional material if they are selected as a JFEW - SUNY scholar
Applications for the two - year program will be accepted through May 22, 2021. Applicants will be notified of their acceptance before the start of the Fall 2021 semester.
Step 1: All application materials must be emailed to email@example.com with the following subject line: LASTNAME.2021JFEW by 6 p.m. on May 22, 2021
Step 2: Request two letters of recommendation. Make it easy for your recommenders - give your resume and personal statement, along with instructions for them to email letters to firstname.lastname@example.org attn. to Jessie Stack Lombardo, Director of Career Development
Checklist of the complete application
- Completed and signed application form (download PDF below)
- Personal statement (maximum of 2 pages)
- Two (2) letters of recommendation
- Resume (maximum of 2 pages)
- Authorization to check financial records
*Print and complete PDF application