Skip to main content

Applying for Financial Aid

School Codes
FAFSA: 002845
TAP: 0920 (SUC Geneseo)

Recommended 2022–23 FAFSA Filing Dates

Fall 2022 Early Admit Students: November 15, 2021

Fall 2022 Regular Admit Students: February 1, 2022

Returning Students and All Graduate Students: February 1, 2022

STEP 1: The FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid)


All students—prospective freshmen, transfers, continuing, or graduate—need to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to be considered for federal student aid, including federal grants and loans. The FAFSA is available on October 1 for the following academic year.

As you complete the FAFSA, be sure to:

  • List SUNY Geneseo's Title IV School Code, 002845.
  • Provide income from the prior, prior year.
  • File by the recommended deadlines: November 15 for early-decision applicants, February 1 for all other prospective and returning students.
  • Sign the FAFSA with your FSA ID and Password. A parent must sign, too, if the student is a dependent.
  • If you need assistance, review the resources provided here or through Federal Student Aid Help.

Campus-based aid, like SEOG (Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant), and Federal Work-Study have limited funding and are made on a first-come, first-served basis. The earlier you file your FAFSA, the greater the likelihood you will be considered.

Want to submit your FAFSA using the U.S Department of Education's myStudentAid mobile app? Check out this step by step video provide by the National Association of Student Financial Aid Administrators (NASFAA).

Go to Additional FAFSA Information and Frequently Asked Questions

STEP 2: NYS TAP (New York State Tuition Assistance Program)


From the New York State Higher Education Services Corporation (NYSHESC): "New York State (NYS) residents attending NYS schools will have the option to link directly to the TAP application from the FAFSA submission confirmation page.

If you exited the FAFSA before selecting this option, you can complete the application after HESC has received your FAFSA data (three days). HESC will send you an email or postcard notifying you to complete the TAP application online if you did not select the FAFSA link to TAP on the web." 

A TAP application MUST be on file with HESC for the award year to be considered for ANY New York State grant or scholarship programs, including STEM, AIMS, Excelsior, and Merit.

Go to Additional TAP Information and Frequently Asked Questions

STEP 3: NYS Excelsior Scholarship

Families whose adjusted gross income is $125,000 or less should consider applying for the New York State Excelsior Scholarship. A separate application MUST be completed to receive this award. Current Excelsior Scholarship recipients do not need to re-apply.

The application for the Fall 2021 is only available until August 31, 2021. Once the application closes we recommend that you sign up at New York State Higher Education Services Corporation to be notified when the application becomes available again for future semesters.

New York State Dream Act

The NYS Dream Act gives undocumented and other students access to NYS administered grants and scholarships. For more information or to apply, go to NYS Higher Education Services Corporation.

Institutional Scholarship Information

For scholarship consideration, new students are automatically considered for scholarship when admitted to the College. Current students must submit an online application. Most scholarships are awarded in the spring semester for the next academic year. Continuing students looking for assistance for study abroad should visit the Study Abroad Office.