Payroll FAQs

Q: What is meant by "lag" payroll?

A: All University State employees are paid on a biweekly lag basis. This means that you are paid for a two week pay period (beginning on a Thursday through the second Wednesday) two weeks after the conclusion of that pay period (exception: hourly employees are paid three weeks after conclusion of a pay period). Therefore, it may take up to four weeks from your date of hire to receive you first check. You will also continue to receive checks after you separate from service until the lag is paid out.

Q: When I multiply my biweekly gross pay by 26, it totals less than my annual salary - why?

A: For full-time employees paid on an annual basis, SUNY Geneseo has many payroll payment modes. A 26 pay period mode is not one of them. When an employee's "annual" salary is paid over a full year (CAL or CYF payroll mode for faculty and professional employees with Academic Year or College Year obligations, respectively; ANN for Calendar Year obligations), the salary is based on 365 days (normal year) and 366 days (leap year). Since each pay period covers 14 days, and 26 x 14 equals only 364, it would always take a 27th check for you to have received your full annual salary. Biweekly pay is equal to:

Salary divided by 365 (366 for leap year) = daily rate of pay x 14 days = Gross-Biweekly Pay

Other factors may also affect your ability to reconcile your annual earnings, your biweekly rate, and your annual salary rate. They include start date, whether or not you are in your first year of employment, the regular lag (two weeks), the special lag (one week for all employees appointed to the Regular State Payroll except hourly and those represented by UUP), and whether or not you have received any raises (retroactive or current) during the period you are attempting to reconcile.

Q: How do I enroll in Direct Deposit?

A: To set up direct deposit for the first time or make changes to existing direct deposit please complete and sign the following form: Direct Deposit. Send your signed completed form with a voided check attached to: Payroll, Doty Hall 318.

Q: I had Direct Deposit last semester, but now it has stopped - why?

A: SUNY Administration inactivates all direct deposits for employees that have gone three or more pay periods without a check. If you do not want changes to your previous direct deposit you may complete the following form: Direct Deposit Reactivation. If you would like to make changes then you must complete a new Direct Deposit form. Send your completed reactivation request to: Payroll, Doty Hall 318.

Q: I worked overtime or a Holiday in this pay period, why is it not in my check?

A: Overtime and Holidays are lagged two weeks. It is paid in the pay period after you actually worked it.

Q: Why can't I see my accrual information on the system?

A: Any changes to employment whatsoever and you will not be able to see your accrual information for two weeks after the pay period that the change occurred in.

Q: How do I change my SUNY Voluntary Savings Program (SRA/TDA) deduction?

A: You can change your SRA/TDA deduction up to four times in a calendar year. Managing your deductions is paperless!  You can change your deduction in the SUNY Retirement@Work System. For instructions and guidance, visit: https://www.geneseo.edu/hr/retirement

Q: I am a CSEA employee, when do I receive my performance advance?

A: CSEA performance advances are based on your anniversary date. Your anniversary date indicates rather you are eligible for a performance advance in April or October. New employees or those changing salary grades must serve one year in grade before becoming eligible for a performance advance.