To be eligible to student teach all Adolescence Education 7-12 French or Spanish majors are required to achieve the Advanced Low Level on the ACTFL OPI by Feb.1 for fall student teaching placement or by Sept. 15 for spring placement; It is recommended that students take this exam during the first semester of their senior year, preferably shortly after having studied abroad in a country where the target language is spoken. This exam is conducted via telephone (OPI) or computer (OPIC) with a certified OPI interviewer and takes approximately 30 minutes to complete. Either OPI is valid, but be sure to pick the right link.
Students must schedule their own exams. Please complete the following:
- Contact Ms. Bill to confirm she will be available on the dates and times you are proposing to take the exam. The exam cannot take place during non-business hours, on weekends or holidays. It may take up to four weeks to get your results and so please plan accordingly. You must arrive at the test site 15 minutes before the exam so plan accordingly when filling in the Range of Availability.
- Review the following links and then apply to take either the OPI or OPIc:
Important Contact Information:
- Name of Proctor: Ms. Paula Bill
- Title of Proctor: Secretary 1
- Name of School: SUNY Geneseo Department of Languages and Literatures
- Proctor Email: email@example.com
- Proctor Telephone: 585 245-5247
Missed appointments, appointments rescheduled with less than 24 hours advance notice, and tests that are cancelled and not rescheduled are assessed an additional fee by the Testing Service (not by Geneseo).
Please note that the ACTFL policy requires that each test taker wait at least 90 days between test taking occurrences (retesting).