Bachelor of Arts Degree in French
Salut! Broaden your cultural and professional horizons with a major in French! Bring your communication skills to a higher level with our courses designed to expand your proficiency in the language. Also, you will increase exponentially your cultural basis for livelier interactions with native and heritage speakers of French. Our exciting civilization, literature, and linguistics courses focus on our remarkably diverse societies, highlighting their history, traditions, and challenges. As a career in itself or an invaluable asset to any professional field, pursuing a major in French will provide you with an enriching intellectual experience.
Check out what our students have to say about our French program!
Basic Requirements - Revised Program (effective Fall 2021)
(scroll down for the old program)
Major Requirements - 32-36 credits
All courses are 4 credits
- FREN 213: Intermediate French Grammar, Culture, and Communication
- FREN 301: Written Communication
- FREN 302: Introduction to Literature
Two electives at the 300 and/or 400 level
One course in LITERATURE from:
- FREN 450: Medieval and Renaissance French Literature
- FREN 455: French Literature Classical Period and Enlightenment
- FREN 460: French Literature from Romanticism to the Present
- FREN 474: Francophone Literature, Africa, and the Caribbean
- FREN 475: French-Canadian Literature
One course in GRAMMAR from:
- FREN 335: French for the Professions
- FREN 416: Advanced Grammar and Syntax
One course in LINGUISTICS from:
- FREN 317: Phonology
- FREN 423: Selected Topics in Linguistics
One course in CIVILIZATION from:
- FREN 312: M/Modernity in West Africa
- FREN 313: Contemporary French Civilization
- FREN 314: M/Contemporary Francophone Civilizations
- FREN 325: French Civilization
- FREN 326: M/Early Non-European Francophone Civilizations
Note: A minimum of 32 credits of FREN at the 300 and/or 400 level is required for the major. A minimum of 16 credits (including FREN 301 and 302) must be taken at Geneseo.
Basic Requirements - Students under the Academic Year 20-21 and earlier
Major Requirements - 33-36 credits
- FREN 202: Intermediate French II: 0-3 credits
- FREN 301: Written Communication: 3 credits
- FREN 302: Introduction to Literature: 3 credits
- FREN 450, 455, 460, 465, 474, 475: Two courses in literature: 6 credits
- FREN 335 or 416: One course in grammar: 3 credits
- FREN 317 or 423: One course in linguistics: 3 credits
- FREN 313, 314, 325, 326: One course in civilization: 3 credits
- FREN 477: Senior Seminar: 3 credits
- Three electives at the 300 and/or 400 level: 9 credits
- Note: A minimum of 33 credits of French at the 300 and 400 levels is required for the major. A minimum of 15 credits (including 301 and 302) must be taken at Geneseo.
Study of a second language and Study Abroad
Minimum Competence Requirement
A grade of C- or better is required in all 300- and 400-level courses in fulfillment of requirements for the major.
All students whose FIRST MAJOR is French or Adolescence Education: French are required to pass the departmental writing examination. This examination may not be attempted more than three times.