Salut! Broaden your cultural and professional horizons with a major in French! Bring your communication skills to a higher level with our courses designed to expand your proficiency in the language. Also, you will increase exponentially your cultural basis for livelier interactions with native and heritage speakers of French. Our exciting civilization, literature, and linguistics courses focus on our remarkably diverse societies, highlighting their history, traditions, and challenges. As a career in itself or an invaluable asset to any professional field, pursuing a major in French will provide you with an enriching intellectual experience.
Total Credits required to complete major: 33-36.
- FREN 202: Intermediate French II: 0-3 credits
- FREN 301: Written Communication: 3 credits
- FREN 302: Introduction to Literature: 3 credits
- FREN 450, 455, 460, 465, 474, 475: Two courses in literature: 6 credits
- FREN 335 or 416: One course in grammar: 3 credits
- FREN 317 or 423: One course in linguistics: 3 credits
- FREN 313, 314, 325, 326: One course in civilization: 3 credits
- FREN 477: Senior Seminar: 3 credits
- Three electives at the 300 and/or 400 level: 9 credits
- Note: A minimum of 33 credits of French at the 300 and 400 levels is required for the major. A minimum of 15 credits (including 301 and 302) must be taken at Geneseo.
Effective Fall 2021: Revised French Major Curriculum/Requirement
Study of a second language and Study Abroad
Minimum Competence Requirement
A grade of C- or better is required in all 300- and 400-level courses in fulfillment of requirements for the major.
All students whose FIRST MAJOR is French or Adolescence Education: French are required to pass the departmental writing examination. This examination may not be attempted more than three times.