¡Hola! Broaden your cultural and professional horizons with a major in Spanish! Bring your communication skills to a higher level with our courses designed to expand your proficiency in the language. Also, you will increase exponentially your cultural basis for livelier interactions with native and heritage speakers of Spanish. Our exciting civilization, literature, and linguistics courses focus on our remarkably diverse societies, highlighting their history, traditions, and challenges. As a career in itself or an invaluable asset to any professional field, pursuing a major in Spanish will provide you with an enriching intellectual experience.
Basic Requirements (all in a single language): 33-36 credits
- SPAN 202: Intermediate Spanish II: 0-3 credits
- SPAN 301: Written Communication: 3 credits
- SPAN 302: Introduction to Hispanic Literature: 3 credits
- One course in the survey of literature (SPAN 303, 304, 305, or 306): 3 credits
- One course in literature (SPAN 450, 452, 453, 462, 463, 472, 473, 482): 3 credits
- One course in grammar (SPAN 316, 335): 3 credits
- One course in linguistics (SPAN 317, 323, 324): 3 credits
- One course in civilization (SPAN 312, 313, 314, 325, 326): 3 credits
- Senior Seminar: 1 credit
- Three electives at the 300 and/or 400 level: 9 credits
NOTES: A minimum of 33 credits of foreign language at the 300 and 400 levels is required for the major. A minimum of 15 credits (including 301 and 302) must be taken at Geneseo.
Study of a second language and study abroad
Minimum Competence Requirement
A grade of C- or better is required in all 300- and 400-level courses in fulfillment of requirements for the major.
All students whose FIRST MAJOR is Spanish or Adolescence Education: Spanish are required to pass the departmental writing examination. This examination may not be attempted more than three times.