¡Hola! Broaden your cultural and professional horizons with a major in Spanish! Bring your communication skills to a higher level with our courses designed to expand your proficiency in the language. Also, you will increase exponentially your cultural basis for livelier interactions with native and heritage speakers of Spanish. Our exciting civilization, literature, and linguistics courses focus on our remarkably diverse societies, highlighting their history, traditions, and challenges. As a career in itself or an invaluable asset to any professional field, pursuing a major in Spanish will provide you with an enriching intellectual experience.
Basic Requirements - Revised Program (effective Fall 2021)
(scroll down for the old program)
Major Requirements - 32-36 credits
All courses are 4 credits
- SPAN 213: Intermediate Grammar, Culture, and Communication
- SPAN 301: Oral and Written Communication
- SPAN 302: Transatlantic Hispanic Cultures and Readings
- SPAN 401: Advanced Oral and Written Communication
Two electives: one at the 300, one at the 400-level
One course in APPLIED GRAMMAR from:
- SPAN 316: Applied Grammar: Subtitle
- SPAN 335: Spanish for the Professions
One course in LINGUISTICS from:
- SPAN 309: Language Field School in Afro-Hispanic Societies
- SPAN 324: Introduction to Linguistics
- SPAN 424: Spanish Linguistics Seminar: Subtitle
One course in CIVILIZATION from:
- SPAN 308: Communication and Culture in Spain
- SPAN 313: Peninsular Civilization: Subtitle
- SPAN 314: M/Latin American Civilizations: Subtitle
Note: A minimum of 32 credits of SPAN at the 300 and/or 400 level is required for the major. A minimum of 20 credits (including SPAN 301, 302 and 401) must be taken at Geneseo.
Basic Requirements - Students under the Academic Year 20-21 and earlier
Major Requirements - 33-36 credits
- SPAN 202: Intermediate Spanish II: 0-3 credits
- SPAN 301: Written Communication: 3 credits
- SPAN 302: Introduction to Hispanic Literature: 3 credits
- One course in the survey of literature (SPAN 303, 304, 305, or 306): 3 credits
- One course in literature (SPAN 450, 452, 453, 462, 463, 472, 473, 482): 3 credits
- One course in grammar (SPAN 316, 335): 3 credits
- One course in linguistics (SPAN 317, 323, 324): 3 credits
- One course in civilization (SPAN 312, 313, 314, 325, 326): 3 credits
- Senior Seminar: 1 credit
- Three electives at the 300 and/or 400 level: 9 credits
NOTES: A minimum of 33 credits of foreign language at the 300 and 400 levels is required for the major. A minimum of 15 credits (including 301 and 302) must be taken at Geneseo.
Study of a second language and study abroad
Minimum Competence Requirement
A grade of C- or better is required in all 300- and 400-level courses in fulfillment of requirements for the major.
All students whose FIRST MAJOR is Spanish or Adolescence Education: Spanish are required to pass the departmental writing examination. This examination may not be attempted more than three times.