Campus Living Employment Opportunities
Residence Director (2018 - 2019)
The Department of Student Life is seeking graduate students to serve as team members for the Department of Student Life as Residence Director. Applicants must have a Bachelor’s degree and be enrolled in a graduate program or have planned involvement in an advanced educational opportunity. Experience as a member of a residence hall staff is preferred and candidates should indicate an interest in and understanding of student development and learning.
The Residence Director is a member of the Student Life professional staff who, along with an undergraduate Assistant Residence Director (ARD), will be responsible for the students and RA staff of a residence hall. General duties and responsibilities (20 hours per week) will include administration of a residence hall, staff development, community development and educational initiatives, meeting attendance, crisis and emergency response in the “on-call” duty rotation, and participation in department wide initiatives. The Residence Director is obligated to live in the provided apartment.
- Stipend of $12,000 per year
- Furnished apartment
- Cable including HBOGo
- Wifi Internet access
- $300.00 meal stipend per semester
- Professional development opportunities
Title: Residence Director (RD), Department of Student Life at SUNY Geneseo
Reports To: Area Coordinator and indirectly to an Assistant/Associate Director
Specific Qualifications: Bachelor’s Degree; enrollment in a graduate program or have planned involvement in an advanced educational opportunity; residence hall staff experience preferred; organizational skills; strong interpersonal and communication skills; teamwork orientation; ability to work within budgets; understanding of student development and residential facilities management.
Terms of Employment: Start date begins August 1, 2018 through May 31, 2019. When classes are in session, work is not to exceed 20 hours per week. This position is a live-in position requiring extensive training, evening work and weekend time commitments at times. It is expected that the Residence Director (RD) serve in an “on-call” duty rotation.
General Duties & Responsibilities
Administration of Residence Hall
- Maintain 10 scheduled office hours per week. During this time the RD may take care of the tasks listed below.
- Supervise, coordinate and attend all aspects of designated hall openings and closings (beginning and end of semester and holiday closings)
- Oversee room and key inventories for residence hall (primarily beginning and end of semester)
- Handle all related tasks to hall management (damage billing, occupancy reports, etc.; periodic)
- Assist with housing selection (occurs in the spring)
- Serve as a resource to all students in residence hall
- Meet with residents
- Meet with RA staff for individuals
- Supervise and evaluate RA staff each semester
- Conduct weekly staff meeting (1 hour)
- Conduct weekly individuals with RA staff (3 hours)
- Active participation in training of RAs through presentations (prior to start of classes)
Community Development & Educational Initiatives
- Be visible and accessible to students who live in residence hall
- Serve as a resource for Hall Council and Assistant Residence Director (secondary advisor)
- Maintain hall programming budgets (RA, hall council, staff development) and track programming in residence hall
- Be a resource to RAs and assist in the development of programs to meet intended learning outcomes and goals
- Productively address all student concerns and roommate conflicts in residence hall
- Attend weekly department staff meetings (2 hours), Professional Development (1 hour), and one on one meetings with supervisor (1 hour)
- Participate in "on-call" duty rotation schedule
- Participate in department-wide initiatives
Application Deadline is rolling with preference given to those who apply by April 13, 2018.
Click here to apply online: http://go.geneseo.edu/StudentLifeResidenceDirector
Cover Letter, Resume, and References should be sent to email@example.com as a .pdf attachment by April 13, 2018.