Excelsior Scholarship at a Glance
The Excelsior Scholarship is a program created to make education more affordable in New York State. With the Excelsior Scholarship you may be able to attend SUNY Geneseo tuition-free.
New York State residents whose family household federal adjusted gross income is $125,000 or less and who complete at least 30 credits per year are eligible.
How much is the Excelsior Scholarship?
An Excelsior Scholarship recipient may receive up to $5,500 from the Excelsior Scholarship, minus any amounts received for TAP, Pell or other scholarships.
- The remainder of your tuition charge will be covered through a tuition credit paid through SUNY.
- Excelsior scholarship awards do not cover other educational costs such as Comprehensive Student Fee, course fees, room, dining or books.
- Be a New York State Resident for 12 consecutive months prior to the start of the term
- Be a U.S. citizen or non-eligible citizen
- Have graduated from a high school in the U.S. or earned an equivalency diploma
- Have a combined federal Adjusted Gross Income of $125,000 or less
- Be pursuing an undergraduate degree
- Execute a contract agreeing to reside in New York State for the length of time the award was received, and, if employed during such a time, be employed in New York State
Continuing Students/Transfer Students:
- Meet all of the criteria listed above for first-year students
- If attended college prior to the 2022-2023 academic year, have earned at least 30 credits each year (successively), applicable toward his or her degree program prior to applying for an Excelsior Scholarship
How to Apply
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
- Complete your New York State Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) application.
- Complete the Excelsior Scholarship application. It is available on the Excelsior Scholarship Program website during open application periods.
How to Renew
Current Excelsior Scholarship recipients do not need to complete this application.
To renew your participation in the Excelsior Scholarship program you must:
- Complete your 2022-2023 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) using your 2020 tax information;
- Complete your 2022-2023 New York State Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) application using your 2020 tax information; and
- Continue to meet the program eligibility requirements as they are outlined on HESC.
How Excelsior Awards Are Calculated
TAP, Pell and any other grants or scholarships not designated for non-tuition expenses are subtracted from the frozen tuition amount of SUNY $7,070; the amount remaining is your Excelsior Scholarship award up to a maximum of $5,500. Any remaining tuition liability will be covered by a tuition credit paid through SUNY.
Excelsior Scholarship and Your Bill
Bills for new and returning undergraduate students are available in MyGeneseo. Excelsior applicants may notice that the scholarship is not reflected on their bill.
If you have recently applied for the Excelsior Scholarship, the college is providing you with two options to “clear” your bill, pending determination of your eligibility:
- Option 1: Pay the balance in full and be reimbursed any excess payment resulting from an Excelsior Scholarship award.
- Option 2: Enroll in the Geneseo Installment Plan and pay the first installment (1/4 of the balance due). If an Excelsior Scholarship is awarded, the remaining installments will be reduced or canceled, depending on the scholarship amount.
The Student Accounts office can be reached at 585-245-5621 and staff will gladly answer any questions you may have about your payment options.
Excelsior Eligibility Determination
- Students who are determined Excelsior-eligible will receive a notification from New York State. Geneseo’s Office of Financial Aid will also be notified.
- Once Geneseo is notified, you will be able to view your revised awards in Knightweb, our student portal. Here you will see your actual Excelsior award amount. Your actual Excelsior Scholarship award amount will appear as a credit towards the tuition charge when you view your current balance in the Student Account Center.
Important Note about Excelsior Scholarship “Certification”
- At the end of the fall and spring semesters, HESC will require the college to confirm final award eligibility for each student. This includes confirmation of minimum credits earned and certification of other grants and scholarships factored into the estimated Excelsior Scholarship award calculation.
- If a student does not meet the certification requirements, eligibility for the Excelsior Scholarship program and associated awards will be rescinded. HESC determines final eligibility for the Excelsior Scholarship program.
- Students are responsible for all monies owed as a result of a loss of eligibility, regardless of when the loss is determined.
Have a question that we have not addressed? Contact our Financial Aid office at 585-245-5731 or firstname.lastname@example.org.