COVID-19: the connection to smoking and vaping, and resources for quitting.
Find out more information on COVID-19 and the effects on smokers and vapers here.
The AOD Program at Geneseo offers a number of services, including:
- Education and intervention through programs such as BASICS and Choices
- Individual consultations for students to discuss any alcohol or other drug concerns. To schedule, please call Counseling Services at 585-245-5716.
- Group support through LOTUS (adult children impacted by parental substance use), SMART Recovery, Mindfulness-Based Relapse Prevention, and CALM, a mindfulness-based stress reduction series.
- Parent resources, including the booklet, Talking with College Students About Alcohol. (Parents can find additional helpful information by visiting College Parents Matter.)
- Referrals to OASAS-approved off-campus treatment providers, for more information, see the SAMHSA website: https://findtreatment.gov/
BASICS and Choices
Do you have concerns about your drinking or marijuana use? Take a BASICS screening and receive a personalized profile; your results are completely confidential.
If you have been required to take Choices or BASICS:
If you have been referred to the Alcohol and Other Drug (AOD) Program Coordinator Sarah Covell by the Student Conduct office, please have your referral letter when calling to schedule an appointment ( 585-245-5716). To schedule an appointment for Choices (Alcohol or Marijuana), email email@example.com.
Geneseo’s commitment to student welfare extends to its concern for how you and your friends socialize. If you choose to socialize with alcohol, make sure you’re well informed about its effects, including alcohol's interactions with other drugs. The Safe Party site includes resources for students who attend or host parties, plus transportation and legal information. Follow the link below to see more information.
Do you know how different amounts of alcohol affect your body and brain? To get the facts, check out this Blood Alcohol Level Table.
Our AOD Program Coordinator Sarah Covell is also the owner of Sophie, a Certified Therapy Dog. Sarah brings Sophie to her second floor Lauderdale office on Tuesdays and Thursdays. On occasional Thursday afternoons from 3 to 4 p.m., Sarah and Sophie visit South Village Counseling Services (check for schedule). Sophie loves students and would be happy to have you visit with her any time!