1098-T Tuition Tax Statement
Educational institutions are mandated by the Internal Revenue Service to send a 1098-T tuition statement to each enrolled student who has made a reportable transaction based on the IRS criteria.
Depending on your income (or your family’s income, if you are a dependent), whether you were considered to be enrolled half-time or greater for one term, and the amount of your qualified educational expenses for the year, you may be eligible for a federal education tax credit. Refer to IRS Publication 970, IRS Form 8863 and the Form 1040 for information and instructions about claiming education tax credits.
How to View Form 1098-T Tuition Statement on KnightWeb
- Log into KnightWeb at knightweb.geneseo.edu using “Student/Employee Login”
- Click on the “Student” tab
- Select “Student Records”
- Click “Tax Information”
- Select the 2022 tax year to view the current 1098-T tax statement.
Detail of the amounts listed in each box of the 1098-T statement can be found below the 1098-T displayed in KnightWeb. Print this information to assist your tax preparer with determining tax credit eligibility.
Geneseo’s FILER’s Federal Id is 16-1514621
The Student Accounts Office is not able to provide tax advice. Please consult a tax professional or IRS Publication 970 for assistance.
Online Access to Official 1098-T Form
Current & Former Students:
SUNY Geneseo partners with Heartland ECSI to deliver the 1098-T statements. The Heartland 1098-T website is available 24/7 providing students access to their tax statements. It allows students to view and print their 1098-T tuition statement. Go to heartland.ecsi.net, then:
- The school identification page will be displayed. In the school name search box, type “SUNY Geneseo” and click submit.
- The student Identification page will be displayed. Complete the fields for First Name, Last Name, SSN, and Zip Code.
- Click the checkbox “I am not a robot,” then click “continue.”
- Your personal 1098T page will be displayed. Click the (+) to expand the 1098-T Statement section to see your statement details as well as a link to a printer friendly version of your 1098T statement.
Need help logging in to Heartland ECSI? Please call 866-428-1098, Monday – Friday, 7:30am – 8:00pm EST.
Important Reminders About the 1098-T
- Forms are mailed by Jan. 31 from Heartland ECSI, the company chosen by SUNY administration. You may expect to receive your form by early February.
- Not all students who receive a 1098-T are eligible to claim a deduction or credit. SUNY Geneseo staff are unable to provide you with individual tax advice. Consult with an informed tax preparer or the IRS if you have questions about your tax filing.
- Data reported on the 1098-T is also reported to the Internal Revenue Service by Heartland ECSI at the end of March.
- Geneseo’s Filer’s Federal ID number is 16-1514621.
While staff of SUNY Geneseo and ECSI may be able to answer certain questions about the 1098-T Tuition Statement, they cannot explain the requirements for educational tax credits. Please consult your tax professional.