Leadership in Life Certificates
Personal Exploration in Leadership Certificate
The Personal Exploration in Leadership Certificate incorporates workshops that offer opportunities for personal exploration and development. It has two required workshops: Personal Development Session and Leadership Exploration and Personal Development Reflection.
The Personal Development Session with a GOLD Mentor may be used to complete both the Leadership Skills (Bronze) and the Personal Exploration in Leadership certificates and only needs to be completed one time. Completion of these two workshops and attendance and journals for any 12 other workshops in the entire GOLD program are required to earn the Personal Exploration in Leadership Certificate. Students may request any workshops that have not been used to complete a previously earned certificate be moved and used to complete the Personal Exploration in Leadership Certificate (12 workshops plus the 2 required workshops).
- Personal Development Session
- Leadership Exploration and Personal Development Reflection
Leadership in Sustainability Certificate
The Leadership in Sustainability Certificate is designed to help students recognize the importance of sustainability issues and to understand their responsibility as individuals and community members to encourage sustainable practices. The Leadership in Sustainability Certificate certificate provides a practical foundation for students looking to take on leadership roles in the movement to build a more sustainable society through workshops and hands on activities created, in partnership, with the Office of Sustainability.
The Leadership in Sustainability Certificate will be awarded upon completion of eight workshops, including the four required workshops (Following the Money: Economy and the Environment, Opportunities in Current Environmental Issues, Reflection in Current Environmental Issues, and Unpacking Portrayals of Sustainability) and submission of journal reflections for each workshop. The Leadership in Sustainability Certificate Certificate also has a ten hour service in sustainability requirement, which can be completed through the Office of Sustainability or on the student's own time; more information on this service component is given in the Opportunities in Current Environmental Issues workshop.
Students who have completed required workshops that differ from the new required workshops posted below will need to complete a total of four required workshops, either new or previously credited workshops. The new ten-hour service component will be required to complete the certificate.
- Opportunities in Current Environmental Issues
- Reflections in Current Environmental Issues
- Sustainability and Money
- Unpacking Portrayals of Sustainability
Leadership in Academic Success Certificate
The Leadership in Academic Success Certificate has been designed to help students navigate academic life more successfully. This certificate takes into account all aspects of a student's life and how that impacts their academic success. Workshops will enable you to identify your currently scholarly skills and lead to overall academic improvement. The Leadership in Academic Success Certificate will serve all students who wish to improve upon their academic lifestyle and prepare you with the tools for academic success.
The Leadership in Academic Success Certificate is comprised of four core workshops, four elective workshops and submission of journal reflections for each workshop.
The Leadership in Academic Success Certificate will be awarded upon completion of the four required workshops (Improve your Note-taking, Improve your Engagement, Study Better Using Metacognition, Listening Skills*, and Balancing Mental Health and Academics).
- Improve your Note-taking, Improve your Engagement
- Study Better Using Metacognition
- Listening Skills
- Balancing Mental Health and Academics
Equity-Minded Leadership Certificate
The Equity-Minded Leadership Certificate is designed to provide a foundation in concepts of identity, power, intersectionality, and action. Participation will empower students to advance diversity, equity, and inclusion in their communities.
Change, even on small-scale levels, is impactful in a large way. Students can apply the knowledge and skills developed through this certificate to their cultural clubs, Greek organizations, residence halls, campus employment, athletic teams, academic departments, and more.
Upon completion of the program, participants will:
- Understand the value of and effective strategies for allyship;
- Develop intrapersonal (e.g., self-awareness, etc.) and interpersonal (e.g., communication, etc.) inclusive leadership skills;
- Gain skills and knowledge necessary for career preparedness;
- Recognize intersectional and cross-cultural perspectives;
- Practice conflict resolution skills;
- Contribute to dialogue about campus climate;
- Share testimonials about their experiences on campus;
- Engage in opportunities to teach and develop facilitation skills
The Equity-Minded Leadership Certificate will be awarded upon completion of the three required workshops and five elective workshops:
- Foundations in Social Identity
- Intersectionality and Power
- Equity vs. Equality
LGBTQ+ Career Readiness Certificate
The LGBTQ+ Career Readiness Certificate is designed to prepare LGBTQ-identified college students for the unique challenges they may face in their careers. Those who complete the program will gain essential knowledge and skills for protecting themselves and their career opportunities in the face of discrimination, microaggressions, and self-doubt. Participants will have the opportunity to share fears and challenges with each other in a safe space, and will gain guidance from LGBTQ instructors. Workshops can be taken in any order to qualify for the certificate. This program is made up of the four core workshops along with four workshops of their choice from the Career Design Center.
Students who complete this program will:
- Understand their rights in the workplace
- Gain strategies for dealing with workplace microaggressions
- Understand resources and strategies for reporting workplace discrimination
- Practice challenging conversations, such as coming out at work
- Explore their personal style as it relates to career wardrobe
- Network with LGBTQ professionals and organizations
- Gain confidence and lifelong career skills
The required workshops for the LGBTQ+ Career Readiness Certificate is made up of the following four workshops:
- LGBTQ Bias in the Workplace
- The Category is… LGBTQ Career Wardrobe
- Coming Out (or not) at Work: Strategies for LGBTQ Professionals
- Networking as an LGBTQ Professional