The Geneseo Opportunities for Leadership Development (GOLD) program offers unique workshops that help students develop the personal skills and knowledge necessary for future success in both life and career. GOLD offers 10 certificates of completion.
The process to earn a GOLD a certificate is as follows:
- Attend eight one-hour workshops (four of which are required, the other four are electives)
- Submit eight corresponding journal entries after the workshops
You can take workshops in any order or at any time that fits your schedule. You may also complete as many workshops as time permits, but, you will only be awarded a certificate when you have attended eight workshops and submitted eight journal reflections.
Each spring at the end of the academic year, students who have completed certificates will receive signed certificates at the Annual Leadership Awards and Recognition Ceremony, There are no deadlines for submitting journals. However, if you would like to receive a printed certificate and have your name in the Awards and Recognition Ceremony, all journals needed to complete a certificate must be submitted by Wednesday, April 24, 2019.
GOLD Certificates Offered
- Amber: Personal Exploration and Development Certificate
- Amethyst: Global Engagement Certificate
- Bronze: Life Skills Certificate
- Diamond: Leadership Through Community Engagement Certificate
- Emerald: Career and Professional Development Certificate
- Gold: Personal Leadership Model Certificate
- Jade: Leadership in Sustainability Certificate
- Onyx: Academic Success Certificate
- Opal: Diversity and Cultural Competency Certificate
- Silver: Practicing Leadership Certificate
- Dr. Thomas E. Matthews Leadership Award: Completion of All Certificates
- Professional Development Certificate (PDC): Graduation Requirement for Business Majors
Advice for Participants
The best strategy for going through GOLD at your own pace is to use free time during the afternoons when most GOLD workshops are offered. The times slots for 2018-2019 are normally Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 2:30-3:30 pm and Tuesday/Thursday from 1:00-2:00 pm and 3:00-4:00 pm. Workshops do occur at other times so check the daily schedule for workshops and events that are offered for GOLD certificate credit.
Ten of the eleven leadership certificates have a similar format and similar requirements: each certificate has a combination of four required workshops and four elective workshops, and the related journal entries that are submitted online. The Amber Certificate only requires two workshops plus fourteen optional workshops selected from the entire GOLD program. See Amber Certificate for details.
You may complete any certificate at any time, so feel free to take whatever workshops fit into your schedule. However, in terms of the Core Leadership Certificates (Bronze, Silver, Gold), you will not be awarded them out of order, even if you complete a certificate. For example, if you were to complete the workshops needed to earn a Silver certificate, you will not be awarded Silver until you complete the Bronze certificate first. This has to do with the developmental nature of the Core Leadership Certificates. In this way, the completion of the Gold certificate is a capstone for the GOLD development process.
Completing All Ten Certificates
In addition to the regular procedure of submitting a journal entry after each workshop that you attend, for the Gold Certificate, it is required that you complete and submit a Personal Leadership Model. Students earning the Civic and Community Engagement Diamond Leadership Certificate must complete a reflection paper on civic and community engagement experiences.
Students who earn all the certificates will also be awarded the Dr. Thomas E. Matthews Leadership Certificate in recognition of their commitment and involvement in leadership development through the GOLD Program.