It is the intention of the Department of Residence Life and the Department of Student Life to provide and to identify opportunities for students that result in increased learning, greater self-awareness, and a clearer sense of purpose.
Our passion is the improvement of the human condition through the expansion of a caring community (Campus Life: In Search of Community, p. 47).
- To provide opportunities for students to learn, interact, lead, reflect, program, question, and have fun (How College Affects Students, p. 647).
- To provide safe and inviting places where the college community can gather to engage, live, and flourish.
- To provide commonly shared experiences that promote belonging and connectedness with a mutual respect for the unique contributions of each individual.
Our departmental curriculum is firmly rooted in the college's mission and values and the Geneseo Learning Outcomes for a Baccalaureate Education. There are eight components of our Departmental Curriculum.
- Educational Priority - describes our learning aspiration
- The Departments of Residence Life and Student Life develop socially responsible citizens who build positive relationships as engaged learners.
- Learning Goals - breaks down the Educational Priority into specific learning components
- Each student will become a socially responsible citizen. (SCR, LD)*
- Each student will build positive relationships with people in the community. (SUPVS, ECSS, AD)*
- Each student will aspire to be an engaged learner. (CEAA, HL, ID)*
- Narratives - description of what we mean by the learning goals.
- Learning Outcomes - break down each learning goal into observable and measurable outcomes.
- Strategies - the ways in which we work to achieve our learning outcomes (see below)
- Educational Plan - a map of our strategies throughout the academic year
- Strategy Learning Outcomes - specific learning outcomes for each strategy
- Lesson Plan Template - lesson plans describe how each individual strategy will be implemented
*Abbreviations demonstrate alignment with the Student & Campus Life Divisional Learning Outcomes
Strategies for Learning
- Student Engagement Experiences (SEEs)
- Community Dialogues
- Home Improvements
- Living-Learning Community curricula
- Resident Assistant and Advanced Peer Leadership Courses
- Staff Meetings
- Training and in-service
- 1 on 1 meetings with supervisor
- Job Responsibilities
- Geneseo Late Knight
- All-College Hour Speaker Series
- Student Organizations
- Geneseo Campus Activities Board
- Upstate Escapes
- College Union Employees
- Departmental Internship