COVID-19 Employee FAQs

Frequently asked questions during the COVID-19 pandemic.

What do I do if I have symptoms?

1. Stay home, or leave work if you develop symptoms while at work.
2. Notify your supervisor.
3. Contact your healthcare provider for advice and a COVID-19 test.
4. Complete the COVID -19 Self Reporting Form.

Where can I find a testing site?

Contact your healthcare provider, visit the NYS COVID testing info site or your county's Department of Health website for testing locations. 

What do I do if I test positive?

Follow the three steps below:

1. Follow New York State's Department of Health guidelines.

2. Complete the COVID-19 Self-reporting form

3. Notify your supervisor that you are "sick"—be advised that you are not required to disclose your health condition or provide medical documentation directly to your supervisor.

Does the College accept rapid home test results?

Yes. Take a photo that includes your positive rapid home test result and your Geneseo ID and use the COVID-19 Self-reporting form.

How do I report a positive rapid home test to the College?

Use the COVID-19 Self-reporting form to submit your test results. Take a photo that includes your positive rapid home test result and your Geneseo ID to upload. 

If you no longer have your positive test result, please complete the Affirmation of Isolation and upload with your self-reporting form or email it to

How long do I stay out of work after I test positive?

Follow New York State's Department of Health guidelines.

I've been exposed to someone who tested positive for COVID-19. What should I do?  

Follow New York State's Department of Health guidelines.

What if I tested negative earlier this week, then exposed?

Exposure after a negative test is treated as a new case. Please follow New York State's Department of Health guidelines.

Do I need to submit a negative test result to return to work if I tested positive?

No. You may return to work when you complete the isolation period following New York State's Department of Health guidelines.. But, please send any test results and quarantine or isolation notices you may receive from the Department of Health to The College reserves the right to request medical documentation when appropriate. 

Are there COVID-related time-off benefits available?

Yes. Ten days are available, which can be used for a maximum of three incidents. These days can be used ONLY for a positive COVID-19 test result (mandatory isolation). 

If employees exhaust the 10-day maximum, they will need to use accruals for additional COVID-related absences.  

Please note that employees are required to notify supervisors if they cannot report to work due to illness or take care of an ill family member. Contact the Payroll Office at 585-245-5616 or with any questions about time balances.

How do I fill out my timesheet for COVID-related absences?

Select the "Mandatory Quarantine" option from the "non-chargeable type" dropbox in the Time & Attendance System if you are eligible for paid time off. Otherwise, use sick time for personal or family illness. If you do not have accruals available, please contact Human Resources at 585-245-5616.

Can I take time off for COVID vaccination or booster shots?

Up to four hours of paid leave is allowed for each vaccination dose, including a booster shot. Travel time is included in the four-hour cap. Absence beyond the four-hour caps must be charged to leave credits.

What if I need to stay home with my children due to school or daycare closings?

If you can complete your job responsibilities at home and your supervisor approves, you may work from home during a child or dependent's quarantine or isolation. Employees and their supervisors should create a work-from-home plan. Supervisors must consult with Human Resources for situations that require a work-from-home period that extends beyond two weeks.

If your job responsibilities require your physical presence on campus, consult with HR on the appropriate use of accruals. 

If I have concerns about COVID-19, can I refuse to come to work?

If approached, supervisors are encouraged to discuss employee concerns about workplace safety. Supervisors are not allowed to ask employees about their health or health history. Employees with health-related concerns should contact their healthcare provider regarding their ability to report to work. The employee should then contact the Human Resources Office at 585-245-5616 to discuss their options.

Can my supervisor direct me to leave work?

Yes. If an employee is presenting any symptoms of COVID-19, the supervisor, the Assistant Vice President for Human Resources, or a designee will immediately direct the employee to leave work. Any employee experiencing symptoms associated with COVID-19 shall immediately report symptoms to their supervisor.

Is a quarantine the same as being directed to work from home?

No. Quarantine is a state, period, or place of isolation where someone who has been exposed to an infectious disease is placed. A mandatory quarantine is something that is ordered by an authorized government official. A self-quarantine may be recommended by a government official or health care provider if there is a chance you have been exposed. If you are asked to work from home by SUNY, you have no obligation to self-quarantine, unless otherwise directed by an authorized individual or body.

Can employees file a Workers' Compensation claim if they believe they contracted an illness at work?

Employees may file an accident report if they feel they contracted an illness through the course of work. The On the Job Injury Report should be submitted to the Human Resources, Doty Hall 318. Call 585-245-5616 or email for more information.

What happens to my job and benefits if I need to be absent from work due to illness?

Depending on the circumstances, you may be entitled to a job-protected leave of absence under the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) or various provisions of the appropriate collective bargaining agreements. Call Human Resources for more information at 585-245-5616 or email for more information.

I want to stay home because I have personal health conditions or I have loved ones with health conditions. What are my options?

At present, all college offices are open, and all existing time and attendance rules apply. Limited exceptions would apply to those who are quarantined by the mandatory order of the County Department of Health. In such cases, documentation will be required.

If you know you have been exposed to an individual who has tested positive for COVID-19, or you have traveled to an area identified by the CDC as a level 2 or 3 risk, please stay home and contact Human Resources at 585-245-5616 or as soon as possible to discuss your specific circumstances before returning to work.

Some faculty and staff members may have justified concerns stemming from personal health conditions or health conditions of loved ones. If a family member needs care for a health condition or illness, sick leave accruals may be utilized. Accruals other than sick leave are available for employees to use in situations where an individual determines that it is in their best interest to remain home or are otherwise needed. Also, see the top question "Can I work from home during this emergency."

Do I still need to submit timesheets?

Yes. All employees (essential and non-essential), even if working remotely, must continue to submit timesheets via the SUNY Employee Portal. Information on the time and attendance system can be found at:

Where can I get an Isolation Affirmation form?

You can find an Isolation Affirmation form on the NYSDOH website. Please send completed forms to: