Full registration status, or officially College registered, student organizations at SUNY Geneseo are:
- any student-driven group whose primary membership and entire leadership consists of students currently enrolled at SUNY Geneseo and who are playing the student mandatory activities fee
- form in order to contribute to the student's personal development and the advancement of the College Mission and Values
- non-credit bearing
- officially registered with the College
The policies and procedures of SUNY Geneseo supersede any outside affiliation or inter/national entity for all organizations that have affiliations outside of Geneseo.
Full registration does not imply college endorsement of the positions and views of any organization. Rather, it implies that the institution accepts the organization’s mission as educationally valid and that the organization has complied with institutional registration and continuing registration procedures. For this reason, student organizations are prohibited from taking “Geneseo” in front of the organization name. Instead, student organizations are permitted to place “Geneseo” at the end of the name. For example, “Piano Club at Geneseo” or “Piano Club of Geneseo” are acceptable formats.
Full registration with the College does not permit the organization to act in the name of the university, to represent the university, engage in any contractual obligation in the name of the university, nor represent the organization as being an official part of the university.
Student groups that are formed and sponsored by academic and administrative departments, in the pursuit of research, administrative activities and academic endeavors, are not considered college registered student organization. The sponsoring academic or administrative department assumes responsibility for the group and therefore can reserve space for the group under the department's
Officers of Proposed Organizations must agree to:
- Uphold all College and State University regulations and State and Federal law
- Keep organization funds in an official depository
- Maintain accurate financial records which can be available for inspection by organization members
- Provide equal opportunity in the selection of members, assignment of privileges, and provision of all benefits and services to members.
- There will be no discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, creed, religion, age, national origin, disability, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, or sexual orientation. The only exception to this policy of open membership is that social sororities and fraternities may limit their membership by gender.
Benefits of Being College Registered
A College-registered student organization has the ability and privilege to:
- Be in good academic and conduct standing with the College
- Reserve space using EMS
- Advertise interest meetings and small group events (Events designed for the purpose of member recruitment)
- Host interest meetings and small group events (Events designed for the purpose of member recruitment)
- Collaborate with other student organizations
- Use the College name, services, equipment, and facilities (if available)
- Solicit membership on and off-campus
- Be listed as a student organization in College publications and media
- Fundraise on and off campus with the approval of the Director of Student Life
- Reserve any room on campus for organizational activities through Campus Scheduling and Special Events
- Request food orders through Campus Auxiliary Services (CAS)
- Utilize all aspects of publicity on campus in accordance with the College’s Sign and Poster Regulations
- Reserve a table at the Student Organization Expo
- Apply for programming grants through Geneseo Late Knight or Upstate Escapes
- Open a SA Non funded account, which has no fees or question of individual liability
- Apply for a SA Funded Account
- Collaborate with other student organizations on campus such as Geneseo Campus Activities Board, Inter-Residence Council, Academic Affairs Committee, etc.
- Use a campus email account and webpage
- $5 free of charge printing account each academic year