Room Rates 2020 - 2021 *
- Superior Single $4,760.00
- Standard Double $4,311.00
- Townhouse $4,869.00
*There is typically a 3% increase to room rates between years. While our official rates have not been released for 2021-2022, we have the current rates below to give you an idea of cost.
Returning students should follow the timeline and step-by-step instructions below to arrange their on-campus housing. Remember SUNY Geneseo has a two-year residency requirement. All students must live on campus in College housing for two academic years unless they are commuting from the home of their legal guardian.
- March 26: Housing deposit is due for returning students
- April 2: Housing applications and Roommate Groups due
- April 15: General housing selection times released (returning students only)
- April 19 - April 23: General housing selection (returning students only)
1. Pay the housing deposit
Pay your $150 housing deposit online through KnightWeb, in person at the Student Accounts Office in Erwin Hall, or by telephone (585-245-5621). Once your deposit is paid, a housing application will appear in your Symplicity account (within 1-3 business days).
Directions for paying your housing deposit through KnightWeb:
- Log into KnightWeb.
- Click on "Student" menu.
- Click on "Student Records".
- Click on "Pay Housing Deposit".
- Select "Credit Card" from the drop-down box.
- You should then be prompted to enter your credit card information and initiate your online housing deposit payment.
Parents: In order to pay your student's housing deposit online, you will need log-in information. If your student has arranged for you to be an "authorized user" through the Student Accounts Office, you will be able to pay the housing deposit at go.geneseo.edu/deposit.
2. Complete the application
Within 3 business days of paying your housing deposit, your Residential License Agreement Form (RLAF) will be available to you through the Symplicity Residence software. Log in to Symplicity and on your Symplicity Residence home screen, you will notice under applications your housing application will appear.
Section 1: Personal Information
You should not need to provide much information in this section, though you can share your cell phone number and describe your gender identity to us, provided that you feel comfortable in sharing this information.
Section 2: Who are you hoping to live with?
This is a roommate matching questionnaire. You must complete this matching profile, even if you already know who you plan to live with. Sometimes, students leave residence halls during the school year, whether to study abroad, to graduate early, or for other reasons. These completed profiles will allow us to match you with a compatible roommate, should your original roommate leave.
Section 3 - 7 : Where are you hoping to live?
This section prompts you to think about the type or style of housing which you would most prefer. Selecting any or all of these options will not guarantee you your preferred housing for next year. We are simply curious about which housing styles are most popular amongst Geneseo students. Your responses to these questions might help us to either provide more opportunities for desirable housing in the future or eliminate housing options which are no longer wanted.
To apply for housing accommodations, please refer to the Office of Accessibility Services Steps for Requesting Housing Accommodations. Requests are due by the RLAF deadline. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the Office of Accessibility via email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 585-245-5112
Section 8 & 9: Additional Information
You can use the text box in this section to supply any other information which you want us to know prior to choosing your housing.
Section 10: Consenting to Residential License
Before submitting your RLAF, you should review the SUNY Geneseo Residential License. The Residential License describes important policies and conditions for living in our residence halls. It also specifies that, by consenting to its terms, you agree to live in the residence halls for the entire 2021 - 2022 school year. This means that you will not simply be allowed to choose to live off-campus during the Spring 2022 semester. This is a lease agreement, just like if you were signing an off-campus apartment lease.
Submitting Your Application vs. Saving Application as Draft: The Symplicity Residence software allows you to save your application as a draft, which is convenient. But applications which are saved as drafts are not officially submitted. Therefore, you must remember to submit your application officially by the deadline. (Click the "Submit Application" button.) Otherwise, you and your roommate and/or suitemates will not be able to choose your living space during the Housing Selection process.
3. Form your roommate group (optional)
If you want to live with a friend in a corridor-style room, or with multiple friends in a suite, you will need to form a roommate group in the Symplicity Residence software.
- After you access your Symplicity Residence account, navigate to the "Roommate" tab on the top menu.
- You will then be asked to "Choose a Term". Select the term for which you are selecting your housing (i.e. Fall 2021).
- Click on the "Find Someone You Know" tab.
- You will see a box labeled "Enter a Roommate Code". In the event that you are forming your roommate group on behalf of your friends, you will need to ask each of your friends for their passcodes. All students can find their passcodes in the upper-right corner of the Symplicity Residence home screen. As long as you type your friend's passcode in the "Roommates:" field correctly, their name should appear in the larger text box below the magnifying glass. By clicking on the highlighted name, you can add your friend to the group. If you plan to live in a suite or townhouse with multiple friends, you can just repeat the process of typing passcodes in the "Roommates:" field until all of your friends are included in the group.
- When you finish, click the "Save" button. (Note: It is not necessary to type your own passcode in the "Roommates:" field -- you will be added to the group automatically.)
- If you can view all of your friends' names in the text box below the magnifying glass, your group was created successfully.
Things to Note About Groups
- If you type a passcode incorrectly, or if you try to type a name in the "roommates" field instead, a small triangle with an exclamation point will appear, and nothing will happen.
- All members of a roommate group must have paid housing deposits and completed their Residential License Agreement Form (RLAF). In the event that your friend's RLAF is not completed, or saved in draft format, their name will not appear in the text box, even if you typed their passcode correctly.
- The Symplicity Residence software should allow the formation of mixed-gender groups.
Group Size Restrictions
If you and your friends wish to live in a suite or a townhouse the size of your roommate group must match the size of your desired suite. If you want to try to choose an 8-person suite, for instance, your roommate group must include exactly 8 students. Forming a partial group and then allowing Student Life to place a "random" student in your suite later is not an option -- you must fill your suite completely. (Exception: If a member of your group is already approved for medical single accommodations through the Office of Accessibility Services, your group should include 1 less student than the number of spaces in your desired suite.)
The sizes of suites which are available for Housing Selection and the residence halls which feature each size of suite are outlined in the table below.
|Suite/Townhouse Size||Residence Halls|
|4-person||Nassau Hall, Saratoga Terrace, Putnam Hall (All-Gender Community Only), Seneca Hall (Writers House Acceptance Only)|
|5-person||Nassau Hall, Saratoga Terrace|
|6-person||Allegany, Erie, Genesee, Monroe, Ontario, Wyoming, and Nassau Halls|
|8-person||Allegany, Erie, Genesee, Ontario, and Wyoming Halls|
4. Select your housing at your assigned time
After you pay your housing deposit, complete your application, and form your roommate group, all that is left is to wait! You will be notified about your official Housing Selection date and time via email. If you want to know how selection order is determined, feel free to visit our Approved Groups and Selection Order.
Starting the Selection Process
At your designated Housing Selection time, you should notice a Room Selection section on the left side of your Symplicity Residence home page. To begin the process of choosing your living space, click on the blue "Open" button next to the name of your Housing Selection process (e.g., General Housing Selection, 2021 - 2022).
Choose Your Desired Residence Hall, Floor, and Suite/Room
You should now be able to view to your Room Selection screen. You can also navigate to your Room Selection screen by using the top menu on your Symplicity home page. On this screen, you can choose your preferred residence hall, floor, and suite/room from the living spaces that are still available.
- Only the suites and rooms which are not yet selected and which match the size of your roommate group will show in the drop-down menus. This means that, for instance, 6-person groups will not be able to choose 8-person suites.
- After you choose your preferred residence hall, you will be prompted to choose a floor, then an "apartment" or corridor-style room. (Note: In Symplicity, suites are called "apartments". Feel free to ignore this language.)
Specify Assignments/Roommates Within Suite
If you and your friends are choosing a suite, you will also need to specify where each group member will be living within the suite. This is achieved through the use of drop-down boxes.
Finalize Your Housing Selection
After you click the "Finalize Selection" button, a screen notifying you that you selection has been finalized should appear. This signifies that your suite or room has been reserved, which means that no other roommate group will be able to choose your living space.
Potential Challenges in Choosing Your Housing
- You will be able to view only the rooms and suites which match the size of your roommate group. If you are a leader of a 6-person roommate group, you will not be able to choose an 8-person suite.
- Housing Selection times are staggered by intervals of 1-2 minutes. If your roommate group's Housing Selection time is 8:00 pm, another group will be able to choose their living space at 8:02 pm. In the event that you wait too long to finalize your selection, the next group could choose the same room or suite which you are in the process of choosing. If you miss your time, you could also miss the suite you may wish to fill.
- Only the leader of your roommate group will be able to choose your living space. If the leader of your group is unavailable to choose your room or suite at your designated Housing Selection time, he/she can transfer the group leader designation to another group member by clicking the green arrow next to his/her name in the "Roommate Management" tab.
- Each person interested in Special Interest Housing must complete the housing applications for those halls. For instance If you wish to live in Writers House, both roommates must complete the Writers House Supplemental Housing Application questions on the housing application.